I realised while I was doing the powerpoint tutorial that I must have the old powerpoint system on my computer, as the new powerpoint 2007, has so many more features. I have since downloaded this superior edition. Probably because powerpoint is now old technology, I am very comfortable using it for presentations. You can actually spend hours just fiddling around, but who has time for that!:-)
I created a powerpoint demonstration last year for students in my class to highlight different memory strategies, that may assist them in their classwork. I have modified the presentation in taking out slides explaining the biological side of memory as I just wanted to illustrate how I used different features of powerpoint. I also reinstalled a couple of different links to YouTube, as one previous link was unavailable now and another was subject to copyright. I believe the presentation follows engagement theory philosophy (Kiersley, & Shneiderman, 1999), as it is a meaningful topic relating to our everyday lives. Furthermore, I have tried to create an appealing presentation that would appeal to visual, auditory, and tactile learners (Felder, & Solomon, as cited in Aldred, 2010), and hopefully assist students to identify a memory strategy that could help them in their studies.
I have probably broken all the rules relating to colours in the powerpoint, but I wanted to attract attention and not just be another boring powerpoint. The first slide (outrageously coloured and looks like something from the hippi days) has a link to a YouTube of Barbra Streisand singing 'Memories'). The song was played just as the students were coming into class and getting settled. Most slides have bullet points, a variety of clip art and customised animations and a couple of short but interesting and funny links to YouTube. Midway through the presentation I devised a couple of hands-on memory games using a couple of the memory strategies previously outlined. Towards the end of the presentation there was also a quick quiz.
I would have uploaded the presentation to the forum but I am having difficulties. If anyone could help me out I would be happy to put it on the forum as I really appreciate feedback.
References
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity,
FAHE11001 Managing E-Learning, http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm
Aldred, S. (2010). Learning style and personality. Retrieved from CQUniversity, FAHE11001 Managing E-Learning, http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=44149
No comments:
Post a Comment