I have often wondered what a wiki was, and until now, had no idea that the wiki is such a great communication and collaborative tool for use in the classroom! I believe wikis can provide a stimulating, creative ‘active learning’ environment where all students can be engaged in collaborative groupwork, problem solving and critical thinking (Kearsley, & Shneiderman, 1999; Aldred, 2010). Wikis further support ‘active learning’ and ‘Learning Engagement Theory’ as facilitating activities that require problem solving and critical thinking, help exercise students’ higher order thinking skills, as they can do their own research, reflect on information published by their peers and others, ask questions and publish their opinions. Such activities promote deeper learning and understanding of diverse views (Kearsley, & Shneiderman, 1999). Furthermore, wikis make collaboration between teams of students an easy task, perfect for many activities including brainstorming, organising information, assembling scripts for drama or presentations, and sharing information and research on topics with students both inside and outside the classroom.
Students can view and publish a multitude of different resources on wikis, including pictures, videos, vokis, audio and video podcasts, and quizzes (Dale’s Cone, cited in Aldred, 2010). Using these resources in activities, can engage students’ audio, visual, tactile and kinaesthetic learning styles (Felder, & Solomon, cited in Aldred, 2010). Wikis would also suit a wide range of students’ learning abilities, where everyone can contribute to the learning activity, even introverted students may feel more confident using wikis to reflect and publish opinions on different topics and learning activities. Normally in physical group work, these students may feel intimidated by others, and feel uncomfortable expressing views, quickly becoming distracted and unengaged from the activity.
I believe that wikis’ educational value is outlined very well in an old quote by Confucius saying ‘Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand’.
References
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from CQUniversity, FAHE11001 Managing E-Learning,
http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm
Aldred, S. (2010). Active learning: The issues. Retrieved from CQUniversity, FAHE11001 Managing E-Learning,
http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=44149
Aldred, S. (2010). Learning style and personality. Retrieved from CQUniversity, FAHE11001 Managing E-Learning, http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=44149
No comments:
Post a Comment